Too late to settle an old account?

Hi there. I received a letter from Bowman & Heintz stating that an old Midland collection had been referred to them. I asked for validation of the debt and they say that it is from an old account with Providian with a last pay date of 11/2002 so it is within the SOL. I would like to try & settle this account. Should I contact Providian who is now WAMU, or Midland, or Bowman & Heintz? Or is it too late? Any ideas how I would format the request? Thanks so much for any help.

23 Answers

By all means I believe that you should pay the debt if it is valid. I think that you just need to make sure that the debt is indeed owned by them. I have read other posts that report paying a debt just to find out that it is owned by another company, and they come after you a second time. I just recommend that you get proof that you are paying the right people. Just take the few extra steps to make sure you are not being scammed by someone that got a hold of you information

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.”


I am in Indiana and I believe the sol is 6 years. The "validation" they sent was a letter on theier letterhead stating it had been a Providian credit card opened in 2000 and last pay 11/2002. This is all that I have received.

hmnmmm..don\'t hit that panic button and don\'t get taken advantage of!!!!

'Guest'.....i was in a situation, similiar to the one you have. i would suggest to look on your Credit Report and see who is 'reporting' the debt. THEN see if the SOL is expired, or SOON to expire. will see, on your CR when the 'drop off' date is. In most states, if you start paying on an old debt, BEFORE the SOL, the debt 'restarts'. If the debt is CLOSE to the SOL< I would just leave it alone. But, of course, it's your decision what you want to do.

Can anyone give me a format for a "DV letter"?

First things first here, OK? You're missing our point.

If you just want to settle, you could try 50%. They'll likely look at it as you running scared, and go for the throat, though.

Have they validated the debt?

This is key. If you sent a DV letter and they responded with a lawsuit, that's a violation of fdcpa. Read: counterclaim. If you didn't send the letter for whatever reason, answer the summons, and request validation during discovery. If they can't produce it, file a motion to dismiss.

Wulfisms: my blog

The four 'no's of dealing with collectors:
No validation? No payment. No way! No kidding!!

Tellin' you all the zomby troof
Here I'm is, the zomby woof
[Frank Zappa, 1988 - R.I.P.">

Do not panic if they have responded your DV letter with a law suit, it is basically a tactic used by the CAs to scare consumers and force them to pay.

All you have to do is maintain all the paperworks that suggest that prove that the CA is in the violation of fdcpa.


Did they send you Validation or just tell you about the account? I would send Bowman & Heintz a DV request by certified return receipt Mail. You always want proof in writing before you proceed with anything. Also have you checked your credit report to see if it is being reported?

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and it annoys the pig.”

ok: Today I received another letter from b&H stating that they have filed a lawsuit and it stated a case number. It said that if I wanted to make payment arrangements, to contact their office. I obviously want to try and settle, should I start at 50%? Should I call, or put my offer in writing?


Write Your Answer

This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.
What is the sum of 7 and 7

Page loaded in 0.088 seconds.